This May has been quite the month of changes: I started a new job (love it!), started a new business, started packing for a new city (more on that later) and Cole has started the crazy adventure of studying for Medical School Boards. I've loved every crazy minute of it, I think!
I wanted to take a moment and reflect on the top things I've enjoyed this month, from beauty to food to decorations. Before I get started, when I told Cole I was writing this he asked if he was at the top of the list, so here we go:
#infinity. The boy. Because he's the cutest, the sweetest and all around the bestest.
1. New linens for our bed
Although it's taken 2 months of trial and error we finally got the perfect duvet cover for our queen size bed. The white linens are so perfect to light up our room and to make it look really light and airy. I'm loving it also because we've got really dark curtains over our windows so I felt it was necessary to bring back some light through our bedding. Our pillows are grey, beige and white with a light salmon pink blanket to bring it all together. Loving pink right now! We got the duvet cover from our wedding registry site Zola. They come in all kinds of neutral/pastel colors - totally digging it. They also look even better when they're wrinkled which is a win IMO!
2. Pink hair
In elementary school I had a friend Cecilia who always had colors in her hair: pink, blue, green, purple, etc. I thought she was the coolest person ever! I (for obvious reasons) wasn't allowed to bleach my hair and color it different rainbow hues, but I'm so glad I finally tried it out this week! I'm LOVING having pink hair. Granted, I literally never see humans apart from Cole and the people at Walmart, so I can get away with having crazy hair. We used L'Oreal Colorista Semi-Permanent hair color in Soft Pink, and it's so cute! Cole left it in a really long time because we know it's going to wash out within a few weeks so this gives us time to figure out if we like it enough to do a demi-permanent color. It has bad reviews on Amazon but the more I read them I realized they were about the blue semi permanent color by L'Oreal, and Pink has good reviews!
3. These 'YUM' mugs give me life every morning
For real - they keep in the heat, they're HUGE, they're cute and they're all around cool. For some reason, every time I drink out of them I get all giddy! I got mine from Marshall's, but it seems quite a few other websites sell them. It's definitely a style I can get behind, and I'm a sucker for all things black and white (have you seen my wardrobe?!)
4. IIID Contour
If you're following along this adventure (here!), you'll know this discovery has been quite amazing. I could talk about it all day but I'll stick to my favorite ones for now:
- It looks good on every color, skin type and style - whether you're a cat-eye full makeup girl or an overwhelmed mama who has 2 minutes to do her makeup, this stuff is for you.
- It's so quick - it takes me about 10 minutes to do my entire face now - highlight, contour, blush, illuminator, blend. Then a little powder, some Sandstone Pearl Shimmer and Moca Java Shimmer with mascara and I'm ready to go!
- understanding what color you are makes a world of difference:
Check out this before and after from Maskcara's website. I totally love this photo because it showed me what a difference good makeup and placement makes: check out her eyes (she puts dark eyeliner on her waterline, instead of lightly underneath to create a shadow), her eyebrows (they're shorter than they should be), and then of course her skin - it's beautiful but what a difference IIID contour makes!
I want to make sure every girl I know has the right color, so send me a selfie with no makeup and I'll have you color matched and ready to go for under $60!
The best part is, you fill your palette yourself - no more buying a brand new palette because you ran out of the blush you love!
5. Pink Champagne Lipstick
This has been my go to this month, topped with Sand Gloss. It's the most simple and classic pink, and one of Lipsense's staple colors. I'm all about a bold lip sometimes, but the simplicity of this one is just killer! It's actually one of my top-sellers, and I understand why! Send me a message to grab one.
6. Maybelline Mascara
This Mascara has been a staple in my makeup bag for 2 years, and I suggest it also be one for you! It's really quite dark, and makes my lashes look very long and bold. Always perfect, and if you're not running in the rain each day don't get the waterproof one because waterproof mascara is rough! Get it here!
7. This Chicken Tortilla Soup
With the move coming up WAY to quickly, I knew I needed to fill up the fridge with this soup again. Since we got married 2 months ago I've made this soup 4 times and it just keeps getting better! Here's what I've been adding to this recipe from here:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- One 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- One 14.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (we do less chicken because #money)
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves (I hate cilantro, but if you don't please ignore this message of hate)
- One 8-inch flour tortilla, grilled, cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey cheese (we don't do this, because #lactosedoesweirdthingstome)
- ADD: frozen or fresh corn
- ADD: more jalapeños!
- ADD: small potatoes, cut into quarters
- ADD: more beans because they're inexpensive and make the soup last longer
- ADD: more broth for the same reason as above
- ADD: cumin, cayenne pepper, and turmeric
Hope you make it because it is SO tasty and wonderful!
8. This hot sauce is addictive
Okay so we're super late to the hot sauce world but now that we're here we're all in! We've been COVERING our food with this hot sauce, and ran out last week and I about had a heart attack (not really). It's really tasty and adds a lovely dimension to our meals. Get it here or at Walmart like I did.
9. This company + mission statement
There a few companies that I've obsessively researched because I loved their mission and what they stand for: Veja (shoes), Darling Magazine, & now Maskcara. When a makeup company wants women to spend less time doing their makeup, waste no money and make money all at the same time, I'm all in. I've made more money in a week than I have in more time with other MLMs. This is the business model I've always dreamed of, with the creator Cara totally aligning with my beliefs.
What are your May favorites?